Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> I get a lot of spam that passes the RP_MATCHES_RCVD test; it wouldn't
> make it into my inbox otherwise. I see the scoring recently got bumped
> to -3.0, which makes false negatives even more likely.
>
> I'm not expert enough in the nature of spam to really understand why
> this test is so strong, nor to feel confident in simply whacking a few
> points off it without knowing more.
>
> In the year or so that I've been running my own mail server, I don't
> think I've seen a *single* false positive (at least not one that I
> noticed), but get maybe an average of two spam mails into my inbox every
> day. I've beefed up the BAYES scores, and that helped, but haven't
> tweaked anything else.
>
> Can anyone tell me why it's scored so heavily? Would it be a bad idea to
> just drop it down to -1.5 or something?

This is a rule whose usefulness is likely to vary a lot more for your
mail stream.

Locally, I found it was firing on enough of the reported false-negatives
that I squashed it down to a purely advisory -0.001 quite a while ago,
and I haven't seen any issues with doing so.

I didn't disable it outright as some others do, since it's used in
several meta rules.

-kgd