On 2017-07-26 02:48, Rupert Gallagher wrote:

> When a mail arrives without mid, either the sender did not use a real
> SMTP server or tried to hide it. We have a custom SA rule for it. We
> also reject upfront any mid with a syntax error, or whose domain does
> not have a rdns (eg. @localhost.localdomain or @test.com).

I suspect you'll miss this message, then.

My Message-IDs intentionally identify the originating host, which makes
me more confident that they're unique.  The originating host is behind
two layers of NAT and DHCP, and naturally doesn't have rDNS.

I don't know how to ensure uniqueness if I use the relaying SMTP
server's domain, or the domain of the perimeter of the NATted network,
which can have rDNS (and does, via a dyn-like update service), but which
I do not own or control.