On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:30, Headley, Ronald (PSC/ISMS/EAD-CTR)
<ronald.head...@psc.hhs.gov> wrote:
> Thanks Andy.  We really want to work with a file version, or revision, as
> opposed to a tree revision.   Suppose there are three revisions of File-1 in
> the repository and one revision of File-2.
>
> File-1 revision 63
> File-1 revision 64
> File-2 revision 65
> File-1 revision 66
>
> Suppose we want to deploy File-1 revision 66 but the developer specifies
> revision 65 (which doesn't exist) when creating the deployment package (HP
> Kintana).  In this scenario, File-1 revision 64 will be exported and
> deployed.  This is what happened and is what we want to avoid.  Do you have
> any suggestions?
>
> Perhaps the wrong tool was selected or perhaps it is not setup correctly or
> we're not using it correctly.  Either way, it is what we have to work with
> and we're trying to improve our processes.  We're also looking at
> establishing baselines for our systems using SVN.  Can this be done?

Subversion doesn't have "file revisions." Revision 65 *does* exist,
and File-1 *does* exist in that revision - it just wasn't changed
then, so it looks identical to File-1 in revision 64.

Each revision number represents the state of the entire repository at
that moment in time. If File-1 wasn't changed in revision 65, File-1 @
r65 will look identical to File-1 @ r64.

>From your description (but I'm having a hard time understanding what
you're trying to achieve), Subversion may not be the right tool for
your requirements, or may require some significant layering of other
programs/scripts on top of it to get it to do what you want.

A "complex tag" may get you closer to where you want to be. See
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.tags.html#svn.branchmerge.tags.mkcomplex

Not sure what you're trying to do with "baselines" - is this for
detecting changes to items in (for example) a production environment?
That would be a better task for something like Tripwire.