On Jan 19, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Thomas Loy wrote:

> UNIX has actual physical limits to file size determined by the number of
> bytes a 32 bit file pointer can index, about 2.4 GB. for older file systems
> or runtimes.

The OP said it was a Linux server, and it would have to be a *really* old
version of Linux to have a 2.4 GB limit.  Kernel versions 2.4.x and later
support large files, when paired with glibc 2.2.3 or later.  By my estimation,
you'd have to be running a kernel at least nine years old to run into that
issue.  I'm not going to say no one is running a system that obsolete, but if
they are, they probably know it.

There *are* filesystems that still have that limit under Linux, but none of
them are filesystems you're likely to host a repository on.  Examples would be
VFAT and SMBFS.

--

David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics