Bert Huijben wrote:

                Hi,

Theoretically we could work around this by deleting the file in your working copy... and then write the new data. But this has one essential problem: What if for whatever reason the delete occured but the write didn't? (Or when it stops half way). Now we write a temporary file and then move it in place. This file move operation either succeeds, or it fails (leaving both files). In both cases we don't lose data, while in the delete then write case we would.

Isn't there transactional update support in NTFS now? Disclaimer: I haven't tried it.

James