On 4/1/2010 12:26 PM, Jon Foster wrote:
Andy Levy wrote:
David Bartmess<dingod...@edingo.net>  wrote:
My company has done a preliminary spec for moving from CVS to
Subversion, using the python script cvs2svn. The cvs2svn script
works fine, but when I try to do an svnadmin load of the dump
file created, using the Assembla https URL, it complains that
it can't find a "format" file.

After quite a bit of web searching, I think I see the problem.
The path for the destination of where to load the dumpfile
contents seems to have to be a file path, not a URL. Is this
right? Or am I missing something?
svnadmin requires local filesystem access for everything it does.
Yep.  Your SVN host (Assembla) might be able to take your dump file
and load it for you - try asking them or filing a support request.
If they won't do that, then you can work around this by:

1) Create a new empty repository on your hard disk.

2) Use svnadmin load to load the dump file into your local repository.
    (Note: cvs2svn has the option to create a new repository for you,
    which would let you skip steps 1 and 2).

3) Use "svnsync" to sync from your local repository to the real one.
    Note that the target repository has to be completely empty to do
    this.

4) Delete your temporary local repository.

Kind regards,

Jon
That sounds like a plan. Even though we have quite a few projects to be imported, and we're doing them one by one, I can remove the repository and create a clean one, then svnsync to it from the repository on my local machine.

I'll check it out and try it. Thanks!

--
"Dingo" Dave Bartmess
Broomfield, CO. USA