Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:34:28 -0400, /Phil Pinkerton/:

svn 1.6.5  while in a working copy I modified a file for testing.
After testing I wanted to update the file I modified in the working copy to the version in the repository.

the resulting update did not replace the files in the working copy as expected the modified file still remains.

the only way I could have the update work was to delete the modified file then do the update.

Why did svn not update the modified file ?

Svn has not updated the file because there's probably nothing to update it with. If someone has committed a new revision of it in the meantime, svn would update the file trying to merge both - your changes and the new changes from the repository. What you really want is to revert the file:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.tour.cycle.html#svn.tour.cycle.resolve.revert
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.ref.svn.c.revert.html

--
Stanimir