I'm working with Subversion 1.6.11 and 1.6.12 on RHEL 5, and have
noticed an svn:externals issue. If I attempt to use a target directory
named "global", it breaks the checkout in various confusing ways. For
example:

svn proplist -v .

svn proplist -v .
Properties on '.':
  svn:externals
    test    svn://testrepo/repo/test
    global    svn://testrepo/repo/global

svn update
Fetching external item into 'global'
svn: warning: Unrecognized format for the relative external URL 'test'

svn: warning: Error handling externals definition for 'global/^/test':
svn: warning: Unrecognized format for the relative external URL 'test'

I'm assuming that the issue is that "global" is a bad, bad name for
any directory in Subversion. Is this the case, or is it merely
svn:externals that has these issues?