On 7/15/2010 11:42 AM, Andy Levy wrote:

Just to clarify, TimeMachine doesn't really version your file. It does a back up every
hour of any files that have changed. So, if you change the file 4 times in one hour you
can't go back to "any" of those revisions... just the last one TM backed up
each hour.

Also, at the end of each week (I think - it kind of depends on how
much space you have. Regardless, it's some set time period), those
hourlies get deleted and you only have a snapshot of the end of each
day. Then just the end of each week. And when you're out of space
entirely, the weeklies start getting deleted, oldest first. You do not
have an eternal, complete history of each file with TM.

That said, I think TM is a great backup system for the average user;
it's saved me a couple times, and I really wish there was something
comparable for my XP system I have to use for work.

Kind of off-topic for this list unless you are just using subversion for backups, but backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/)is a good solution if you can put it on a central Linux server (with linux/windows/mac targets). It uses pooling and compression to keep more history than you'd expect on line and available through a web interface.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikes...@gmail.com