We don't often use branching and/or merging based on the simple nature of our
version releases with very little overlap.  We have a longer ranging version -
the next 7 months or so in progress.   Since we are getting ready to deliver
some file changes I'd like to use the trunk instead of a branch just because
it's easier.

There is a very little chance we would really need to release anything to the
previous production level during these 7 months. If it came up I was going to
just copy the tag to a branch and use that for development - and basically
tagging it (or maybe even merging into the tag).

Any reason that creating a permanent branch on the tree would matter -- i mean
never merging it anywhere?   I don't see what harm it would have really - but I
just wanted to be sure in case I decide to branch from the production  version
of the trunk instead.

Probably a silly question - but it's good to have input from others who branch
and merge regularly.
Thx for any help.   If it matters - we are still on svn 1.4.3.
KM