Is there a way to prevent svn from creating a $HOME/.subversion
directory?  I know how to make it put the directory in a different
location using --config-dir=/wherever, but I want to avoid creating
it entirely.  I can't find an option like "--no-config-dir" or
"--config-dir=none".

I have discovered an ugly workaround:  If I set
--configdir=/nonexistent/nonexistent (giving the name of a directory
that does not exist, and whose parent also does not exist), then the
absence of the parent directory means that svn will be unable to create
the child directory.

--apb (Alan Barrett)