Fair enough, the same pattern is still applicable. For example, in our CVS repo what separated one "project" from another was basically a root-level folder.

In kind, you could similarly use cvs2svn to "chunk/dump" subdirectories at a time.

For example, if in CVS you have something like:
/Folder1
/Folder2
/Folder3

... you run cvs2svn three times, once for each subdirectory, producing folder1.dump, folder2.dump, and folder3.dump respectively.

Then, svnadmin load each individually:
- manually create the root folders: Folder1, Folder2, Folder3
- svnadmin load --parent-dir Folder1 /path/to/svn/repo < folder1.dump
- svnadmin load --parent-dir Folder2 /path/to/svn/repo < folder2.dump
- svnadmin load --parent-dir Folder3 /path/to/svn/repo < folder3.dump

Victor Sudakov wrote:
Brian Brophy wrote:
I migrated a large CVS repository (25-50 GB) to SVN years ago on SVN 1.3. Our repo had many sections (projects) within it. We had to migrate each project independently so that it's team could coordinate when they migrated to SVN. As such, I dumped each project when ready and then svnadmin loaded each dump into it's own path/root (so as not to overwrite anything previously loaded and unrelated to this project's import).

So, you can do it by controlling which path/portion of CVS you use cvs2vn to create the dump file from.

The CVS repository in question (with the size 54M with 17751 files) is
exactly one project. It's the history of a geographical DNS zone for
more than 10 years.