On 01/20/2011 05:19 AM, Stephen Butler wrote:

   A 'C' in the third column indicates a tree conflict, while a 'C' in

Thanks, Stephen.

While we're on the subject, can you tell me succinctly what is the exact definition of a "tree conflict"? This used to drive me nuts when I used the subclipse plugin. I got these all the time and I could never understand them. I've now switched to the subversive Eclipse plugin which is even worse for merging (I've never been able replicate with it merges that are simple on the command line) but better in other respects, and have fallen back on a strategy of doing all merges on the command line which seems to produce better results for the most part.

Both plugins assume a great deal of knowledge about the merge process and their "documentation" is restricted to inadequate explanations of what each widget in the plugin does, without explaining in real-world terms i.e. in use cases: When you have scenario x you want to do y, etc.

The command line is better documented but even here as we see, there are holes.

This question was sparked by the following scenario:

I had made a relatively small number of changes in a branch for future development. Among these changes were the additions of several new source files. As I was doing so, a higher-priority defect emerged in production which had to be resolved immediately. I made these changes in the trunk. Naturally, I wanted to merge these changes into my branch. However, no version of the merge command that I could come up with resulted in a situation that did not want to delete the newly added files. My final, unsatisfactory conclusion to this mess, was to do the merge and before committing, revert the files that it wanted to delete.

I have a feeling that this was wrong, and that down the line, some future merge will go badly.

Steve