On Jan 20, 2011, at 12:40, Samuel Langlois wrote:

> I would like to know (and hopefully set!) the encoding used by svn log.
> (I know about the --xml option, which works fine, but it is not easily
> readable by a human.)
>
> From what I see, it outputs ISO8859-1, so European àcçeñts are OK, but
> Japanese, Chinese, etc. characters are output as question marks (?).
> Is there a way, configuring either svn or Windows, to make it produce UTF-8 ?
> It seems somewhat linked to the mysterious "Language for non-Unicode
> programs" setting in the Regional Settings, but I could not make it work.

My understanding was that Subversion log entries are always stored as UTF-8 in
the repository, and that the conversion to and from your system's character
encoding, if different from UTF-8, are handled by your client, in response to
things like (on UNIX-like operating systems) the LANG environment variable (not
sure what Windows uses for that).