On 1/26/2011 4:36 PM, NN Ott wrote:

    I am a tortise svn user. I recently started trying the svn:externals
    property to share files between projects. I got this feature to work
    and I am happy with it so far.

    My question is related to how tags should behave with such shared
    files. I use tags as snapshots of my project in time. The tag is a
    copy of my trunk/branch when I created it. However, if I am using
    shared files via the externals property, these externally linked
    files will not be static - they will change if I do an update on my
    tag! This is definitely not the behavior I'm looking for.

    Immediately I can think of 2 ways to "fix" this behavior of the tag
    not being truly static:
    1. In a tag, externally linked files loose their external link and
    are now just copies of the files. (yuck)
    2. In a tag, the svn:externals property is changed slightly such
    that it points to the specific revision of the file when the tag was
    created. (using -rREV url filename format)

    Is this really a problem or is there another fix available that I am
    unaware of?

Option 2 is supported, and in fact is the recommended method.

See:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.advanced.externals

And if you want the externals references on your trunk to float with the trunk of the referenced item during development, one approach is to always make an intermediate branch where you make these and any other needed changes before making the tag.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikes...@gmail.com