On 2/28/2011 10:37 AM, James Ralston wrote:
<snip>
Question: if I "svnadmin dump" a repository, is it safe to allow
read-only access to the repository while the dump is in progress?  Or
is it the case that permitting even read access could interfere with
the "svnadmin dump" operation?

I ask because it will take a non-trivial amount of time to perform
svnadmin dump/load operations on all of Subversion repositories.  If
we can at least permit read-only access while this upgrade is in
progress, that will have much less of an impact on our users then it
we have to block all access during the upgrade...

A "hot copy" by definition is one that will safely allow read-only access while the backup is in progress.

--
    David Chapman         dcchap...@acm.org
    Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA