On Mar 9, 2011, at 18:11, Michael Diers wrote:
> On 2011-03-09 21:22, Stephen P Rufle wrote:
>> I am trying the following.
>> svn ren "4...@20hrs.jpg" "48 hrs.jpg"
>>
>> I get the following message
>> svn: '48' is not under version control
>>
>> I would like to automate the task of renaming ~100 files. I was able to
>> use TortoiseSVN to do a single file manually, but am not sure how to get
>> this to work from the command line.
>>
>> Please help :)
>
> Stephen,
>
> what command line interpreter (shell) are you using?
>
> The files to be renamed must be referred to with a trailing "@",
> like so:
>
> svn ren "4...@20hrs.jpg@" "48 hrs.jpg"

And just to explain why: This is because Subversion reserves a special use for
the @ character: specifying a peg revision number. (Peg and operative revisions
are explained in the book at http://svnbook.org ) Subversion takes "48" as the
filename and "20hrs.jpg" as the peg revision, and isn't smart enough to realize
that that's not a valid revision number and just tries to use it as one anyway;
to avoid that, you add the extra "@" at the end, which will end up using the
correct filename "4...@20hrs.jpg" and a revision number "" (the empty string),
which is fine.