Thanks for the confirmation, I think this is what we will do...

> From: Feldhacker, Chris [mailto:feldhacker.ch...@principal.com]
>
> In a nutshell:  http://www.svn-access-manager.org/
>
> Basically, store all your settings in a database and generate
> the config files; just use a simple web front-end to edit the
> database and control/log changes that way.  The svn access
> manager provides a good starting point, modify and tweak as needed.

Thanks Chris, this looks good but unfortunately I have neither PHP nor MySQL on
the server box (already using PostgreSQL and Python for Trac) so I don't think
it's for me.  Nice idea if I had more time...

> From: David Brodbeck [mailto:bro...@uw.edu]
>
> rcs(1) is the old standby for version-controlling single
> files.  It doesn't solve your access control requirement,
> though, just your logging requirement.  I use it sometimes in
> situations where I don't want to version control a whole
> directory, just a few files -- config files under /etc, for example.

Thanks David but I think I'll use this opportunity to get a few more files
under proper version control too, so I think svn suits me better.