On 7/26/2011 10:44 AM, Stefan Sperling wrote:
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 08:35:31AM -0700, David Chapman wrote:
If the processor architectures differ, copying the repositories
directly won't work unless changes to the repository format have
been made recently. I had a problem when copying a repository from
a 64-bit x86 machine to a 32-bit x86 machine, for example.  (I think
this was in 1.4.x, but it was years ago and I don't remember the
details.)  Solaris 10 suggests a SPARC machine as the source.
Because of the byte ordering difference, I'd expect major trouble
when copying a repository directly from a SPARC machine to an x86
machine.

This only applies to repositories using the BDB backend.
There is no such problem with the FSFS backend because it uses flat files.

I've used (and recommend) the svnsync approach recommended by
another poster.  Downtime can be even less than when copying
repository directories directly.

Yes, it's another good alternative. But don't forget to run 'svnadmin
verify' on the synced copies, just to be safe.

In a situation where copying directly will work, you can use 'rsync -a' to copy the live repositories and do the bulk of the work with the old system still active. Then when ready to cut over, stop svnserve/http access and repeat the command with the --delete option. That will complete quickly because it only has to duplicate the changes since the previous run.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikes...@gmail.com