On Aug 9, 2011, at 11:59, Ryan Blue wrote:

> I'm trying to use mod_dav_svn to host repositories that are arranged in
> project directories and I can't get the configuration to work.  My projects
> look like this:
>
> /srv/svn/project1/repo1
> /srv/svn/project1/repo2
> /srv/svn/project2/repo1
>
> I'm running into trouble configuring mod_dav_svn; all I can find in the
> documentation is to use SVNParentPath, but the path given must be the direct
> parent of SVN repositories.  I would have to supply /srv/svn/project1 and
> /srv/svn/project2 in separate Location directives to apache.

[snip]

You've got it, basically. There isn't a way to configure SVNParentPath to do
what you want, and Subversion doesn't play nicely with Apache redirects, so I
recommend you conform your repository layout to SVNParentPath's requirements: a
single directory containing all repositories. You could use a naming scheme to
group repositories if desired, e.g.:

/srv/svn/project1_repo1
/srv/svn/project1_repo2
/srv/svn/project2_repo1

> I'm also open to the idea of contributing a patch for mod_dav_svn to do this,
> if that is what is necessary.  It seems like a good solution would be to add
> a SVNSearchParentPath option that causes mod_dav_svn to check each directory
> in the path until it finds a valid repository, i.e., contains a 'format' file
> with a valid format code.

I'm sure patches to improve SVNParentPath would be welcome. Is a new config
option necessary? It seems ok to me if SVNParentPath would always be able to
look into subdirectories.

Check trunk first; I recall something was changed about SVNParentPath there
already but I don't remember exactly what.