On May 10, 2012, at 8:43 PM, Julius Smith wrote:

> On my MacBook, MacPorts upgraded me to subversion 1.7 at some point, and when
> notified to upgrade my working copies, I did so.  My svn server is a Linux
> machine running Fedora 16 (the most recent Fedora release of last November).
> Unfortunately it does not offer subversion 1.7 and will only go up to 1.6.
> (Version 1.7 is available in an alpha future version of Fedore, but I cannot
> risk going to that on my server.) nCoincidentally, I was cut off from my
> server for a week due to a spurious IP address change by comcast, so now I
> cannot check in a week's worth of changes in several working copies.  I tried
> downgrading to 1.6 in Mac Ports, but no matter what I do it insists on
> installing 1.7, ignoring my specification of a 1.6 release that I know
> exists.  So, three bug reports:
>
> 1. MacPorts refusing to downgrade back to 1.6.
>
> 2. Fedora not offering the latest stable version of subversion.
>
> 3. Subversion allowing working copies to be "upgraded" without verifying that
> they can be checked in afterwards.  In other words, the server should be
> required to upgrade first.

I don't have any ideas about 1 and 2, but for #3, why would you need to upgrade
the server first? All 1.x Subversion clients and servers are compatible with
each other. You can use a 1.7 client with a 1.6 server (or a 1.0 server) if you
want. This is mentioned in the FAQ:
http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#interop

> Also, what happened to compatibility across at least one major release
> number?  I thought nearly all software packages did that.

Well, 1.6 and 1.7 are only a minor release number apart, so compatibility
across a major release number doesn't seem to be applicable in this case.