It appears that our SVN on our server was recently upgraded from a version
before merge history tracking was implemented, to version 1.6.x, where merge
history should be available.

However, I checked the SVN history for an element that I made changes to on a
branch, and I looked at that same element after it was merged (by someone else)
to the trunk.  My changes are in that file, but the SVN history doesn't include
the checkin that I did.  Is this simply happening because of how the merge to
trunk was done?  Is there a particular way that merges have to be done to
preserve merge history?