On 04/24/2013 08:52 PM, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
The closest thing to "official" would be the Version Control With Subversion
book (http://svnbook.org/).  But don't expect to find an ordered list of
steps to setting up a Subversion server, because that's just not the
audience for that text.

It would be nice if that sort of text was made available officially. At least I would be interested in it, and I believe others would too.

But not to worry!  A Google search for "guide to setting up a subversion
server" only returns 1.35 million hits.  Surely there's*something*  of value
out there.

There might be, but it requires a bit of knowledge to be able to tell which have value and which are a complete waste of time. An official guide would offer some assurances that newbies wouldn't be wasting their time.

If you'd like to avoid setting up the server yourself, you might consider
looking into a more turnkey solution uch as CollabNet's Subversion Edge
(http://www.collab.net/products/subversion) or WANdisco's uberSVN
(http://www.wandisco.com/ubersvn).

Third-party service providers aren't an option.

Zé