On 05/13/2013 04:21 PM, Bob Archer wrote:
Yes, I get what you are saying. But, to claim the way svn supports
branches and tags is a "hack" doesn't seem like a productive
conversation. It is far from a hack and that statement dismisses all
the hard work of design and implementation that went into svn almost
dismissing the whole team many of which are volunteers.

It would be nice if branches could become a first class object with
the branch command being very specific. But, what we have is far from
a hack if you understand how it works.

I would like to see more "first class" support for projects and/or
defining a project root. For example, perhaps there can be an
svn:projectroot property that must be on a folder and the
branch/merge command will only work on project roots. If that is done
of course the maintain backward compatibility there could be a switch
in the client config to allow for bypassing this requirement, or
perhaps the --force switch could do it. Also, a property can be place
on a branch so that tooling can know it is actually a semantic branch
rather than just a fork (copy).

No one is dismissing anyone's work. Quite the contrary. I don't know
where you managed to get that idea. What has been said regarding subversions lack of support for branching was, I think, quite clear. You may prefer using euphemisms such as "first class support" to refer to the actual support for branches, and in the process actually agree with what has been said about subversion and branches, but that doesn't mean that referring to the same issue through different names implies that anyone is dismissing anyone's work.

--
Zé