On 06/11/2013 05:14 PM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> C. Michael Pilato wrote on Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 14:52:48 +0200:
>> As for the --deltas option, that has nothing in the world to do with the
>> types of deltas we're discussing here.  (As an aside, I would highly
>> recommend that, unless you need your dumpfiles to be smaller, avoid the
>> --deltas option.  The performance penalty of using it isn't worth it.)
>
> That's because we store skip-deltas but dumpfiles want deltas against
> predecessor, right?
>
> So, two thoughts:
>
> - Is this still a problem with the new max-linear-deltification setting?
>
> - Can we teach 'svnadmin dump' to just dump whatever delta is stored in
>   the filesystem, plus the base of that delta?  For the common case of
>   base is so long as it's older than the dumped revision.

To do so, we'd need to expose the deltas via the libsvn_fs API, which is
currently not the case.  Deltas in the repository filesystem are an
implementation detail of that filesystem.  They are not even guaranteed to
be implemented in a fashion that is compatible with what is used in the
repository dump stream format.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpil...@collab.net>
CollabNet   <>   www.collab.net   <>   Enterprise Cloud Development