Hi all,

Thanks for the replies!  Please see below for additional comments.

On Aug 19, 2013, at 9:42 AM, David Chapman wrote:

> On 8/19/2013 9:07 AM, Scott Frankel wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm new to SVN server configuration and find myself setting up a CentOS 6.4
>> server with svn version 1.6.1, following the red-bean book.
>>
>> I'm having difficulty with authorization &/or authentication:  my repo
>> appears to be accessible by anyone in spite of requiring "valid-user" and
>> specifying digest authentication.  I believe this because 1) I can download
>> a full working copy of the repo to a 3rd-party logged into a foreign
>> computer, and 2) I have dozens of entries in apache's logfiles, like these
>> from this morning, *prior* to any known/legitimate access to my repos today:
>
> Step 1:  Take the real repo offline until you get the security problems
> resolved.  Every IP address on the Internet is scanned every single day, and
> your repo is vulnerable right now.
> Step 2:  Run experiments with a dummy repo to resolve the security problems.
>
> Don't ever run security experiments with production data.  Put production
> data online only after you know that all security problems have been resolved.

Good points!  My repo currently being downloaded by whomever is a testProj with
absolutely nothing of value in it.

>> svn_logfile:
>> [19/Aug/2013:00:46:32 +0000] - checkout-or-export / r1 depth=infinity
>
> This does not look good at all.  It's quite possible that someone else has
> downloaded your repository.  The access_log file may tell you the IP address
> from which the request was made; with luck it's the one you were
> experimenting with and the time stamp matches your access.
>
>> access_log
>> 93.174.93.213 - - [19/Aug/2013:07:23:50 +0000] "GET
>> /w00tw00t.at.blackhats.romanian.anti-sec:) HTTP/1.1" 404 319 "-" "ZmEu"
>
> If you watch access_log over time, as I do, you will see these sorts of
> probes constantly.  Too many to list, they are meant to check for known
> vulnerabilities in older versions of Apache or tools installed (SQL
> administration, PHP administration, etc.).  These will never go away.  Get
> used to them.  They should all fail; if not then you have other security
> problems to fix.

OK.  Getting used to common log entries is important.

>> error_log
>> [Mon Aug 19 07:23:51 2013] [error] [client 93.174.93.213] File does not
>> exist: /var/www/html/MyAdmin
>>

>> This doesn't look good at all.  My Location directive follows below.  The
>> /etc/svn-auth.htdigest exists and appears to be valid.  My goal is to setup
>> the repo, serve it via Apache, provide access to only a small number of
>> people that I approve, use cmd-line svn and do so securely.
>
> These are standard goals.

Good.  I mention them in hopes it whittles-down in advance any suggestions you
might have.  eg: the red-bean book has quite a lot to say about tunneling
svnserve, which is not germane to my setup.

>> This is my first brush with Apache, OpenSSL, and general server config.
>> Thanks in advance for your suggestions!  BTW, I'm not subscribed and would
>> appreciate being cc'd on any replies.
>> Scott
>>

>> <Location /svn>
>>   DAV svn
>>   SVNParentPath /var/svn
>>
>>   # Authentication: Digest
>>   AuthName "Subversion repository"
>>   AuthType Digest
>>   AuthUserFile /etc/svn-auth.htdigest
>>
>>   # Authorization: Authenticated users only
>>   Require valid-user
>> </Location>
>>

> How many repositories do you have?  You shouldn't use SVNParentPath if you
> have only one repository; use SVNPath.  I don't know if that is the direct
> cause of your problem, but you should fix it.

I chose to use SVNParentPath on purpose.  As soon as I have a secure, working
server config, I'll be hosting multiple repos.  Daniel and Thomas, thanks for
your suggestions.

> You can also try working with AuthType Basic, creating passwords with
> /usr/sbin/htpasswd, until you figure things out.  I have more experience with
> that than AuthType Digest, so I can't help you there.

I'll try that to see what I discover; but ultimately my research so far points
to Digest mode being more secure.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Scott