Subversion doesn't have branches.  I'd rather see branches as first class
objects before we hack out a "-b" option.  It's still an interesting idea,
though.

What happens when the svn:branches property gets merged or copied?  It's an
edge case, but it could cause an amusing amount of chaos if svn:branches gets
copied around or merged unexpectedly.
What is the behavior when you are in an externals?  Do you respect the
svn:branches in the externals, or do you work from the local repo's
svn:branches, or neither?

Overall, I'm not sure it would save a significant amount of typing.  If you
have a standard trunk/branches/tags repo structure, then you're not saving a
lot by using "-b foo" in place of "^/branches/foo".  Having to set
'svn:branches' for repos with non-standard trunk/branches/tags trees is a bit
inconvenient and would discourage use.