The issue is that the client end of the transaction is in a DMZ

A connection from a DMZ to one’s internal network is a very high security risk.
What I was hoping for was a way to define a very specific connection from the
Subversion server to the DMZ client (push).
This is considered to be a much lower security risk.

Searching for a solution found one possibility: Check out a copy on the
subversion server and then rsync to the final client destination.

I was hoping to find a one-step solution rather than a two step.

Other considerations include using svnsync to create a copy in the DMZ, but
that has its own security concerns.

Sadly, this is not a simple problem.