On 12/10/2013 8:45 PM, Mark Kneisler wrote:
I have several environments where I’d like to use a SVN checkout, but
where I’d never ever want to make changes to the files or perform a
commit.  For these environments, I’d only want to perform an update or
an update to revision.

In cases where you do not want a .svn directory and you are using Linux, take a look at FSVS:

http://fsvs.tigris.org/

This is a command line tool that works very similar to the "svn" command-line tool and talks to an SVN repository. We make heavy use of it to version-control our Linux servers (especially the files under /usr/local, /boot and /etc).

The big difference over using FSVS vs SVN on the Linux box is that FSVS does not create a .svn folder in the root.

I don't know off-hand if FSVS can be used in Cygwin under Windows.