I’ve been developing a new feature of a public project in secret, in my own
private Subversion repository. It’s almost entirely new code in a new
directory. There’s only one file that’s based on an existing file, and it’s
been heavily rewritten.

There will come a time when I will want to publish this new code to the
project’s public Subversion repository. At that time, I could export the code
from my private repository and import it to the public one, but this would lose
my history. Is there a way to preserve the history — replay the revisions in
order somehow? Other developers of this public project seem to be doing so, but
I believe they are making their modifications locally in git clones of the
public Subversion repository, and then using git-svn to later commit the
revisions to the public Subversion repository. I have not used git-svn and am
not comfortable using git which is why I did not attempt this method.

My private repository is not an svnsync’d copy of the public repository; it’s
just an empty repository with my code in it. I don’t have administrative access
to the public repository so I cannot “svnadmin load” anything, nor would I want
to import the revisions verbatim: for example, I would not want the original
commit date and commit author to be preserved; the commit date should be the
date when I publish to the public repository, and the author should be my id in
the public repository, as with any other of my commits.