On May 3, 2014, at 22:32, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 3, 2014, at 21:25, Dan Ellis wrote:
>
>> Its really a performance concern.  We need to do this fairly regularly on a
>> large repository (over a WAN I might add) and asking the server for all
>> files and directories when we really only need a directory listing is really
>> a huge time sink (a 100:1 file to directory ratio would result in a listing
>> time of 100 times slower).  Grep and the like only format the output on the
>> client side (which is easily parsable - we do use xml to parse) and don't
>> relieve the performance burden.
>
> Ok. You’re right, that capability is not built in. You could write a small
> program to do it (using the Subversion language bindings for the language of
> your choice).

Actually that’s speculation. I don’t know the Subversion libraries, and it’s
entirely possible they don’t provide a way to do this; they may just give you
the entire directory listing, leaving you with having to discard the
non-directories. And that in turn may turn out to be because the server has no
API for giving you anything other than a full directory listing; I’m not sure.