Hi Amad

On 11/1/16 10:26 AM, CM Analyst wrote:
Hello,
In our environment, there is a need to identify one or more set of files with a custom attribute. I expect SVN properties is the way to go? For a given set of .exes, I want to attach an attribute using the SVN property called "RC: Release Candidate".
My questions:
1) Is this approach a recommended use for the SVN's property feature?
While there is nothing wrong with this use, given #2, it doesn't seem like a particularly useful path.

Also, contrary to the apparent purpose of your proposed label, the label will stick to the file even as you modify it. Which means that an update to the EXE, would still be marked "RC: Release Candidate", and unless you took an extra step in order to clear that setting. Since that step could be forgotten, unless automated, it seems like a less-than-robust mechanism.

Why not copy the exe to a "Release Candidate" folder in SVN?
2) Is there a way to search to later retrieve all .exes with the given property?
No. Also unclear whether you want to do this only for "latest", but also for "over time". If you want to do it over time, that means exhaustively searching through older releases.

In my testing so far, I created:
$ svn propset Released "This SW component is available for release." foo
property 'Released' set on 'foo'
$ svn proplist foo
Properties on 'foo':
Released
svn:mime-type
However, I was not able to then search and locate the file by its property.

Exactly.

3) What is a better way to indicate a given status/attribute on a set of files?

See my suggestion above about copying into a known folder. Would that satisfy your requirements?

Eric.

Amad