Hello Shira,

of TortoiseSVN development. That's why this is not the right place for
asking user support. Use users@ list instead and read the Community
page: https://tortoisesvn.net/community.html

I'm removing dev@ and adding @users.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 11:24 PM, Shira Hammann <nosmalldre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping folks may have some guidance on how to stop my repo from getting
> corrupted by folder deletes.

I guess that by "repo" you mean "working copy"
(https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-basics-svn.html#tsvn-basics-svn-workingcopy).
Right?

Do you store the working copy on local computer or on a network share?

> Since I started using tortoisesvn 3 months ago, my repo has twice been
> corrupted so that I had to delete it and check out the code from scratch.
> Both times, this has occurred when I attempted to delete a directory in the
> repo.
>
> The first time, I just physically deleted the directory using FileExplorer.
> One of my colleagues says he does this all the time and it works fine with
> the same versions of svn and tortoisesvn that I'm using. I no longer remember
> all the details of the errors I got, but I know that my repo ended up
> corrupted and Clean up didn't work and I ended up having to get the repo
> again.

All those details are essential to provide advise or suggestions.
Please, specify the exact and complete wordings of the errors you
receive and a brief summary of actions you did prior the error
occured.

Note that the state of a working copy that requires a clean up, does
not mean that the working copy is corrupted or anything. A clean up
might be required in case your working copy is in inconsistent state.
This could happen, for example, in case you cancel SVN operation
that's in progress. Read
https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-cleanup.html
and http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/svn.tour.cleanup.html

> This time, I right clicked the directory, and chose TortoiseSVN -> Delete.
> Just prior to doing that, I had gone to the SVN Commit page from my project
> root, and it looked fine. However, after deleting a directory a couple of
> levels down, the SVN Commit page no longer found any pending changes. That
> was true whether I tried from the root or from a subdirectory that didn't
> contain the deleted directory. I then tried to do a Clean up, again trying
> from both of the same locations, and it failed saying "Cleanup failed to
> process the following path:", then the path of the directory I'm trying to
> clean, then "Can't open directory", then the path of the directory I had
> deleted, then "Access is denied."

I'm totally confused. Why do you run `svn delete`? What was the output
of `svn status --verbose`? What made you think that you should run
`svn delete` command?

BTW, "Access is denied" is still just "Access is denied". You should
double-check that your Windows / AD user account has full Read Write
access to the location of your working copies. There is a chance that
the errors occur due to lack of permissions. What about checking out
the working copies to a new location where you sure have full access
permissions?

> At this point I have no idea how to fix the issue, so I'm getting a brand new
> copy of the repo. However, this is a frustrating thing to have happen every
> time I need to delete a directory and I'm hoping folks may have run into the
> same and be able to suggest a better option.

I would suggest reading the documentation
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/svn.tour.html &
https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/index.html

Sorry, but I'm not sure what kind of issue you are trying to describe.
Some error messages and a reproduction script could help.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin