On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 4:15 AM Thuan Seah Tan <th...@fmod.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I did more testing on the 1.12.0 server, and it
> seems it's only those command options that I think would require querying the
> server is experiencing the slow down:
>
> e.g.
> svn status --show-updates directory/file1.txt directory/file2.txt
> directory/file3.txt <-- this took about 3 seconds  and seems to scale
> according to the number of files as it outputs "Status against revision" for
> each file.
> svn status --show-updates directory <-- this took about 1-2 seconds but only
> output "Status against revision" once.
>
> svn info -r HEAD directory/file1.txt directory/file2.txt directory/file3.txt
> <-- this took about 3 seconds and seems to scale according to the number of
> files and display info for each file at the rate of 1 file per second
> svn info -r HEAD -R directory <-- this took about 1-2 seconds even though the
> entire directory has 17 files and just outputs info for 17 files in one hit
>
> The server is on another machine in my local network and both running Windows
> 10 Pro. Not entirely sure the filesystem you are referring to, but the drive
> with the repository is running NTFS.

Is your client also version 1.12.0? Running 'svn --version' on the
client will tell.
It's just to eliminate that this was possibly optimized on the client
side in recent versions.

A couple of other things come to mind:

- It's possible that 'svn status --show-updates X Y Z' opens
(sequentially) 3 separate connections / sessions to the server,
instead of only 1. Same for your 'svn info -r HEAD' example. That's
something that could possibly be optimized in the client.

- How come it even takes 1-2 seconds for a single 'status
--show-updates' or 'info -r HEAD' request? That's extremely slow,
especially since you're saying it's all on a local network. Is it fast
if you create a working copy with a file:/// URL directly on the
server, and perform those commands there (it should be fast)? What
protocol are client and server using? Running 'svn info --show-item
url' on your working copy should tell. If it's https://, maybe there
is some problem / slowdown when opening a new SSL socket? Or
performing LDAP authentication on the server side. If it's svn://,
maybe there is a problem with IP v6 vs. IP v4.

--
Johan