Andreas Stieger to Anton Shepelev:

> > Thanks to everybody for their replies.  I now understand
> > that -- incremental hot-copies are sufficient for
> > regular backups, which can then be mirrored by content-
> > aware file- synchronisation tools, but the problem
> > remains of preventing an accidental propagation of
> > corrupt data into the backup.  How do you solve it?
>
> What the fruit do you mean?  The whole purpose of a backup
> is that you can restore previous points in time.  That
> means multiple points in time, whenever the backup
> happened to be run.  Don't just make a copy and overwrite
> it every time. That is just copy, not a backup. Select
> backup software that can do that.

No, it depends on one's purpose.  If it is to keep the data
in case of HDD crashes, a single mirror is sufficient.  Then
again, since an SVN repository maintains its whole history,
a point-in-time recovery is easily effected by
`svn up -r N'.

The only potential problem is some quiet data corruption,
which is why I ask: will `hotcopy' propagate data corruption
or will it detect it via internal integrity checks and fail?

--
Please, do not forward replies to my e-mail.