Good day!
(please CC me, I'm not subscribed to the list)

A bit of context:
I was using subversion to store my serves' configs versioned for
almost a decade, with bash wrapping around it. Simplified, it had repo
per server name, wrapper called by cron to checkout, rsync over,
commit changes back, sending email on diffs (
https://github.com/coolcold/svnbackup ). Had no issue with it, when
password store was enabled. It's runned under root user and saved
credentials are not exposed to non-admin users on the system.

Issue: with recent changes hitting packages in distributions (
https://marc.info/?l=subversion-commits&m=154101482302608&w=2 ), that
seems to be not possible anymore.
I did adjust my script to use command line switch --password, but this
makes it visible for anyone who does simple commands like ps aux.
I've tried to look around for possible support of environment
variables / password file support, but couldn't find any except some
old proposals like
http://subversion.1072662.n5.nabble.com/Feature-proposal-SVN-USERNAME-and-SVN-PASSWORD-environment-variables-td180031.html

Rebuilding  subversion from source is not an option for many reasons.

Seeking for your help on this, what is the proper way of doing this
with recent versions?
Thanks in advance.