Den lör 24 apr. 2021 16:52Bo Berglund <bo.bergl...@gmail.com> skrev:

> If I check out and work on a project I know that the .svn dir contains
> "stuff"
> related to the subversion system.
> But is it like with GIT that it contains "everything"? I.e. all older
> revisions
> too?

Subversion only store things related to the working copy in the .svn dir.
It is a centralized version control system whereas Git is a distributed
version control system (see for example Wikipedia [1]).I

The reason I ask is that I was looking at svn log in order to figure out
> how to
> see what had happened earlier on the project.
>
> There are two different ways:
> 1) Connect to the server and get the log info:
> svn log -v <URL>

This version is useful if you have not checked out a particular URL, for
example if you want to look at a specific branch (which, in SVN, is just
another directory).

2) Run the command in the working copy dir:
> svn log -v
>
> I don't know if the second incarnation will only get whatever I have done
> myself
> when working on the project or if it somehow can show the complete log
> history.

It would connect to the repository (at the server or in the local file
system, if you are using file://) and fetch the log. So you will see the
complete log.

All projects I have on my system I originated myself so it is not possible
> check (unless I check out some opensource project from the internet of
> course).
>
> When I tested on my project both versions resulted in the same output, but
> then
> the project was started by me so I obviously have all of the data on my PC
> (provided svn saves it inside .svn of course).

The above applies to the command line client. Other clients may implement
caching on their own. For example TortoiseSVN has a "log cache" and will
offer to use the log cache so show the log if the server is unreachable.
This is in the GUI client but if could of course be extended to a command
line as well.

Kind regards
Daniel Sahlberg

1: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_version_control