On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 11:15 AM Yakov Erlich <yako...@eimmore.co.il> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please help to repair SVN repository.
>

> I use TortoiseSVN (1.14.1) and VisualSVN Server 4.3.4.

Were you upgrading a repository from an older SVN version? If so, which
version?

If not for an upgrade, what prompted to fix the repository?

More below...

> I try to repair "Altera" repository.
>
> Its size is 106 GB with 1844 revisions.
>

> Attached files
>
> - log-verifivation.txt keeps list of all bad revisions (17)
>

> - repo_dump_script.sh dumps Altera repository to several dump files,
>
>    except the bad ones (found in log-verifivation.txt).

Note that later revisions may be based on data in earlier revisions; e.g.,
r752 may contain a diff against data in r730. Therefore it could be that,
say, a single bit error in the storage of r730 leads to all the other bad
revisions.

Is it possible there was a disk corruption? If so, do you have an older
backed up dump that includes r730 that could be used to load up to (and
including) that portion of the repository? (Alternately do you have an
older copy of the repository in backups, e.g., made with 'svnadmin hotcopy'
or similar?)

>  - repo_load_script.sh loads the dump files into new "AlteraFix"
>
>    repository (see its log in).
>

>  -  log-repo_load.zip of log-repo_load.txt (44 MB) keeps output of load
> process (repo_load_script.sh)
>

> Note:
>
>                 All 'svnadmin' commands and scripts I ran in "Bash"
> command-line window,
>
>                 under Windows 10. The Bash window executes Linux commands.
>
>                 The Bash window I can open after installing GIT on my PC.
>

> Problem:
>
> All the dump and load finished without errors (IMHO), but there are
> following
>
> problems:
>
> - Resulting repository AlteraFix has 45 GB size in opposite to Altera (106
> GB)

If upgrading from a much older SVN (older than SVN 1.6), SVN 1.6 and newer
has a (optional) feature called representation sharing (rep sharing) which
could account for a big reduction in size: when adding duplicate files to
the repository, Subversion only stores one instance. However, I can't say
whether that's the case here, since I don't know whether you are upgrading
an older repository, nor the size of the revisions that are excluded from
the dump, nor the amount of duplicated data. It could be that ~61 GB of
data are accounted for by the revisions that were excluded from the dump,
and therefore are not in the "AlteraFix" repository.

Nathan