On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 6:15 PM Bo Berglund <bo.bergl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 03:42:30 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> PS:
> >> Is it possible to just move the existing hard drive over to the new
> >> computer and
> >> start it up? Or clone the content to the new computer's drive?
> >> I do have a lot of other stuff that needs migration too...
> >
> >Maybe? You'd need to mount it, and a 10 year old hard drive is
> >questionable at best. I'd use rsync: Ensure that you have SSH access
> >from the new host to the old host, and you should be able to use rsync
> >to copy material and run svnsync efficiently. And look up "svn
> >hotcopy" for copying the basic Subversion configuration for copying
> >over to a new server.
>
> UPDATE: To close this thread
>
> So I have done the migration now and it was basically painless, although time
> consuming because of the way I did it...
>
> 1) I figured out a way to create space on the new PC disk drive from within
> the
> pre-installed Windows 10. This was the easy part. I left 40 GB for Windows 10
> and got about 450 GB free space.
>
> 2) Then I spent a bunch of time figuring out how to boot both my old PC and
> the
> new one from USB live media.
> Turned out to be impossible on the old eMachine PC but I *could* boot it from
> DVD disk with Ubuntu ISO. But no USB drive...

I'd have mirrored that content to a VM on the Windows box. Tastes var,
but I'm glad this worked out for you.

> The new PC uses UEFI so it took a while to get the USB Ubuntu media to boot,
> until I found the correct way to modify UEFI settings to allow it.
>
> 3) Then I ran the Live DVD on my old PC and using GParted I could clone the
> partitons on that to a USB connected hard drive, I also made the partition on
> the target smaller.
>
> 4) Booting the new PC from a live USB with Ubuntu 20 I could install it in
> multi-boot fashion on the new PC in the now freed up space. I let it use just
> as
> much partition space as is needed for Ubuntu plus a bit more.
>
> 5) Next I started Ubuntu on the new PC and using GParted I copied over the old
> PC Ubuntu partition to the new PC hard disk after connecting the USB disk to
> it.
>
> 6) Finally once that was done I also updated the GRUB boot loader so it also
> included the old server in the boot menu.
>
> 7) With all that done I could boot into the migrated Ubuntu 18.04 server on
> the
> new hardware and it did run!
> So I could do the apt full-upgrade to get all new stuff and it announced that
> it
> was ready for a dist-upgrade too.
> Did that and now the server is 20.04 and all I have checked works fine.

I'm glad this also worked completely in-polace. I've run into older
filesystems with older operating systems that did not behave
gracefully when updated in plac.

> 8) Final stop:
> I now reprogrammed the port forwards on my router to go towards the new server
> rather than the old off-line server.
>
> And the next svn sync operation from the main server came through successfully
> and it is back in operation but on a new hardware system and running Ubuntu
> 20.04 rather than 18.04.
>
> My websites also work fine using the existing LetsEncrypt certificates.

Yay! I admit that I've pretty much given up on HTTPS based access to
Subversion, years ago, and use svn+ssh by preference, partly because
of tendencies of httpd admins to try and build the kitchen sink into
its configuration.