Den mån 13 dec. 2021 kl 20:26 skrev Luke Mauldin <lukemaul...@icloud.com>:

> Thank you for the information. I am hopeful that one of the outcomes the
> log4j situation is that ASF project funding would be increased but I
> suspect that thinking is naive. Companies have little incentive to invest
> in something that “works well enough”. I too work for a company that has
> substantial subversion usage but will not support any development on it.
> We are a bit of a unique situation because we have a monorepo with 30-40
> different subprojects and the different subprojects have files with the
> same name (go.mod, cargo.toml, some .hcl files and some others) that have
> very similar or identical content. Originally we had that repo in git but
> the combination of so many identically named files with similar/identical
> content really messed with things like “git log —follow” and generally the
> file level tracking of git since of course git just cares about the
> tree/blobs and not the files. We ran tests and subversion 1.14 handled
> those scenarios substantially better than git since subversion does track
> files. We investigated fossil but it seems to be mostly driven by one
> person and doesn’t have even the subversion level of community support.
> I hope that subversion continues to be around and thrive for a long time
> because even though git “won” the vcs war, I think that subversion does
> still have some advantages in a centralized corporate environment.

ASF is depending on fundraising and it isn't overly rich. FY19 showed a net
profit of 329 k$ while FY20 showed a net loss of 277 k$. There is enough
money to run the foundation for a year, *maybe* two if funding dried up.
That is not exactly a situation to employ paid developers. I'm also afraid
that Subversion would not be the first project in the queue.

But I would be glad to be proven wrong and see a big corporate sponsor
showing up with donations earmarked just for Subversion. In the meantime we
all should do what we can and, as Nathan already wrote, every bit counts.
Our company use Subversion professionally, but as end users so I can't give
my boss a business case to allocate much developer resources, however we
are using a commercially licensed server (from one of the companies who
from time to time show up in the mailing lists and in the "commits"
archive). I'm stealing a few unused cycles to help on the mailing lists
and I'm also using a few hours of my free time to look at the code to
(hopefully) learn a few skills that will make me a better developer.

Kind regards,
Daniel