Before reporting this as a bug, I am posting it here as suggested on the “How
to report a bug” page.

After upgrading my O/S to Debian 11, and with it the subversion client to
version 1.14.1 (r1886195), I started getting
the following error whenever I tried to access the server:

svn: E175003: The server at 'http://svn/singularis/trunk' does not support the
HTTP/DAV protocol

I checked to see what the network traffic associated with this and found that
there was none.  I get the same error attempting make a new checkout.  However
if I substitute the server’s IP address into the URI it works.
It also works with a FQDN.   It seems that it failing resolve the hostname.
Everything else on the host seems to be able to resolve the hostname.
/etc/resolv.conf seems to be correct.

It is conceivable that there is a DNS resolver problem.  However the error
message being produced is completely wrong and grossly misleading.

Ian Miller