I have many repositories configured for sasl authentication.  The svn client
for Mac osx, built using MacPorts, recently stopped working.  I first reported
the problem to the MacPorts bug list but have been advised to report it to the
subversion developers.  (See below.)

Here's the error I get when trying to update a working directory.
> svn update
Updating '.':
svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
'svn://ohia.cs.yale.edu/cs414-2022f'
svn: E170001: SASL authentication error: SASL(-1): generic failure: internal
error: failed to init cipher 'rc4'
The problem seems to be that Sasl3.1 is not upwards compatible with sasl2.
This causes the Macports build of svn to fail when attempting to log into a
server configured to use_sasl.  A workaround is to rebuild the openssl3 port
with the command

sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants openssl3 +legacy

I reported this as MacPorts bug #67931<https://trac.macports.org/ticket/67931>.
 A comment by ryandesign said,
 A port "can't" depend on a variant of another port (see #126). It can use
 the active_variants 1.1 portgroup, but that requires manual intervention
 from the user, and prevents the buildbot from automatically creating
 binary archives of the port.

 Have you reported this problem to the developers of Subversion? If not,
 please do, and put the URL of the report here.
I am attempting to do so here.  Apparently the email is required before I can
make a bug report.

Please let me know how to proceed with the bug report.

Sincerely,
--Michael Fischer