For the sake of simplicity, lets assume I'm also using dbcp

How do you retrieve a new connection from the Registry?
According to the HiveMind examples, I wound have to create an instance of
DataSource and retrieve that from the registry, and then go on. Is that it?

Well, can you or someone else provide an example of the implementation?   :)