<!--
@page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in }              P { margin-bottom:
0.08in }     -->       Those are valid concerns Brian. There are my thoughts on
that:
 - Network is unavailable: dependency manager should maintain a local cache of
already downloaded artifacts to avoid unnecessary network trips.  Maven
dependencies resolver already has that but they have bad update policy IMO that
requires rechecking with repository at least once a day. Unnecessary IMO and
bad by design because this way they try to implement auto updates based on
version ranges in the dependencies: very bad idea because it leads to the build
unpredictability by design!
 - Server is unavailable: there should be network of servers. It is very common
approach and works remarkably well (Gentoo, Ubuntoo, and other GNU-Linux
distros);
   - Speed of operations and network outages: for serious use company or person
should be able easily install a local copy of the repository within own network
that will allow (semi-)independent operation and provide place for artifacts we
or they cannot place on the public servers. Examples of those:
     - SUNs j2ee interface jars cannot be placed in the repository because of
licensing limitations;
     - Company's private assets have no place in the public repositories too;

All the above makes me believe that 'one download' concept should an can be
retired. The repository seed can be made downloadable as DVD image - that would
make sense IMO.

Konstantin Ignatyev