From: Ted Steen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 2:50 PM
To: Tapestry users
Subject: Re: Tapernate "squeezer" refactored...

Absolutely, that would really suck. As I said, it is really redundant.

What are your thoughts on the edit-domain-objects-problem?
I can see, in your example, that you simply setRollbackOnly(); when
something didn't validate, but I can't say that I think it is a clean
solution.
What do you think of the idea of just working on detached objects when
editing?

What do other people in this list do in this situation?

2006/5/25, James Carman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Yes, but if you edit a copy of the domain object, then you start to
develop
> the "parallel hierarchy" code smell (assuming you'd create a "value
object"
> for each type of domain object).

:)

> 2006/5/25, James Carman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Oh, this feature, the squeezer pipeline has been submitted as a patch
for
> > Tapestry 4.1.  So, in the future, I'll probably just re-implement my
> filter
> > using the Tapestry 4.1 API as opposed to the Tapernate API.  Either
way,
> > there should be no impact to client code (unless you write your own
> filter).

superclass/interface)
> is.
> > Tapernate turns the data squeezer service into a pipeline and puts its
> > EntitySqueezerFilter into the pipeline.  If it can't squeeze the
object
> (the
> > object isn't persistent), then it just lets the rest of the pipeline
take
> > care of it.  If it can squeeze it, it does.  The squeezed string will
look
> > something like this (from the example application):
> >
> > HIBRN8:0::l1
> >
> > The "HIBER8" part is a token that tells me that I squeezed this
object.
> The
> > '0' is an abbreviation for the entity name (just print a number rather
> than
> > printing out com.mycompany.domain.entity.MyDomainClass).  And, the
"l1"
is
> > how the rest of the pipeline squeezes my long (value 1).  Enjoy!
> >
> > James
> >
> > p.s. Yes, I'm going to move it!

> /ted

/ted