Mark,

 I added "hibernate.connection.autocommit=true" to my
hibernate.properties and that fixed it...

hm. I don't know if that's a good idea. I'm not comfortable with
hibernate.properties in a Spring environment, anyway. Is it clear to
you in which order they are read? Will Spring configuration override
hibernate.properties, or the other way around? And about this
property: if it was set to or defaults to false, it probably does so
for a reason. Why is that so, and why does noone else besides you
experience the behaviour you experience? Still a lot of questions
unanswered...

 So I assume Spring by default does no Session/TX handling, unless I use the
HibernateTransactionManager or do programmatic transaction handling...

Well, that's not quite possible, is it? Of course it handles sessions
and transactions, it's not just a mock-up, you know. Talking about
transaction managers - what do you have configured there? I said this
in every post on this topic so far, and this being the last one I will
say it just once more: Do check your applicationContext.xml. I'm sure
you'll find the reason for the undesired behaviour in there. Your
setup is configured in a way that it does not show the default
behaviour.

 One last question, to get back to Tapestry - is Spring's
OpenSessionInViewFilter going to work with Tapestry without limitations?

Afaik yes. What limitations where you thinking of? I can't think of
any right now. I don't understand the apparent popularity of it,
though, I think it's not that good a concept.

 I see all these posts about Tapernate and others, but I'm not sure whether
OpenSessionInViewFilter will work...

I might be mistaken, but I thought Tapernate was about providing a
Hibernate session factory through hivemind, allowing you to inject it
into your Daos *without* Spring. Plus some extra stuff for convenience
(similar to the OpenSessionInViewFilter from Spring). What is the
benefit of "Tapernate" when you are going to use Spring anyway? Maybe
someone could enlighten me on this?

regards,

Lutz