The best non-ajax version of a tab control (IMHO) is in stitches.

Download:
http://www.rhoderunner.com/repo/authsum/stitches/jars/

Demo of it:
http://test.rhoderunner.com:8080/stitches/app?page=TabPage&service=page

List of features:
toggle visibility of tabs
Toggle enblement of tabs
Clientside or serverside processing of tabs
uses css for the layout.
programmatically control of all the above.  Set active tabs in your
listeners, disable tab,etc...

If we need to make more parameters for the css classes, I can work with
you and add this feature to the core distribution.