I don't know, it depends on what you are doing.

I built one application that had various services for the "web layer" which
used the hivemodule.xml + sub module files included in from that . ...Then
there was the "appserver" (which was just a hivemind registry running ) that
had it's own hivemodule.xml files as well.

If your configuration needs are more complicated than what the default
servlet provides you may want to extend it like Norbert suggested.