I can't really take credit for it. All I did was move java files around to
different places and made them use the testing infrastructure that
Howard/the team had already created.

You can use it now, just don't ask for documentation yet ;)

http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/tapestry/tapestry-test/