Although i haven't really had the chance to use tapestry , i have been
around it since tap3.
Passing from t3 to t4 meant simplification and.. removing almost half of the
t3 code. (tried it on my sample applications )

I can imagine that t5 would be again much simple than t4 , keeping the
overall concepts the same. As it concerns us , the users , building a
component i don't see it much different , except that there will not be
anymore the "abstract" thing (again , a simplification)
So is not at all a relearning.. should be more of a reshaping in the right
way.. Once you knew t3 , t4 seemed easier. Now that you know t4 .. i hope t5
would be a piece of cake ! ;)

Though , I understand the business facet of the of the discussion...
business rules the world, isn't it ?  (mcDonald's is also  maintained by a
a large comunity of users ..  ;)  )

Alex